iTunes 4.6 installation issues

by kai on 16/06/2004

I accidentally downloaded iTunes 4.6 US Version yesterday to upgrade mit 4.5 installation. After installing it – I even didn’t wonder why all messages pop up in Englisch suddenly *g* – I ended up with a totally messed up iTunes. It didn’t find my library again and asked me to link my iPod with a new (blank) lib…args! Strange, because I got my music files in a seperate folder and didn’t use the default folder of iTunes – and the music files were still there.

Finally the solution was that iTunes stored the lib files of my German installation(as xml) in a folder called C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Kai\Eigene Dateien\Eigene Musik (it’s the document and settings folder followed by login name) and the English installation created another folder C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Kai\Eigene Dateien\My Music using “My Music” instead of “Eigene Musik”. So – iTunes wasn’t able to find my xml lib files. Just had to copy them over and it works like a charme again now.

But: the interesting thing is – that iTunes stores my library data in an xml file – I wasn’t aware of that. The file follows a DTD available on . So, it’s quite open to do something with that data… let me think…

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: