One of the reasons why I’ve been a bit quieter during the last 2-3 weeks is that I’m migrating my work environment from PC to Mac and this is a bit of work because besides playing with my new toy (2.4 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM) I have to continue being at least a bit productive and earn some money 🙂
Anyway – I’m pretty much done with moving all my data to the new machine, setting up software etc. All good. But there is one issue with OS X that really puzzles me: email clients.
Before you start throwing stuff at me – I’m using pretty much the most perfect email client I can think of on Windows: TheBat! It does actually everything I need it to, I never lost any email by corrupted files, it easily copes with the amount of emails I’m currently storing in 7 or 8 accounts (300.000 and growing) and it is configurable down to an absolutely stunning Macro language if necessary.
The downside of it – its storage format and also the available export formats are limited, i.e. I can export to mbox per folder or single messages to .eml oder .msg files.
On the Mac side of things, I’ve been looking into various options:
1. Thunderbird – seems to be nice, but I’m struggling importing my mailbase – and just with having a folder with a few 1000 emails made it behave pretty sluggish.
2. Apple Mail – seems to be better than Thunderbird, but I’ve been reading a few very negative posts in forums and blogs about it’s capabilities when it comes to huge amounts of email. Also – similar issues with importing from TheBat (just folder by folder… args)
3. Mulberry – That one seems to be made for me. It’s complex, offers a lot of possibilities to setup, configure and finetune but I can’t find a way of importing my emails? Is there a way at all to get data INTO Mulberry?
4. Eudora – had a brief look into it, but I was a bit turned off by the fact that it’s not supported anymore. But maybe it’s still an option.
5. Microsoft Office for Mac email (whatever the name is 🙂 – Oh well… nah, not an option currently. Maybe after they’ve released the new office later this year…
Hey OS X users out there – any option I’ve missed so far? Any recommendations?
In the meantime I continue running TheBat in my Parallels installation in Coherence – at least that works fine and is not too bad. But I’d really like to change this rather sooner than later 🙂 and end up with a native OS X email solution that I can live with… Help!!!
Finally – a very nice and true quote about TheBat!
The Bat reminds me a lot of Unix. People say that Unix is hard to use. The same charge has been leveled against The Bat. I’m not sure that’s the case, though. I think it’s more of a “user friendly” system than most people realize. A co-worker once told me that Unix is a friendly operating system. “It just chooses its friends carefully,” she said.